BOSTON — Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley has declared his candidacy for mayor of Boston.
In a written statement Wednesday, Conley said his entire career has been “dedicated to giving voice to the voiceless and hope to the most poor and vulnerable among us.”
He also said Boston needs a mayor who can make tough decisions, “even when they offend powerful interests and upset the status quo,” and who can work with business and neighborhood groups.
Conley became district attorney in 2002. Prior to that, he served eight years on the Boston City Council.
Conley’s decision comes a week after longtime Boston Mayor Thomas Menino announced he would not seek an unprecedented sixth term in office.
Menino’s decision was expected to trigger a political stampede of would-be successors.
City Councilor John Connolly had formally declared his candidacy before Menino made the surprise announcement last week. State Rep. Martin Walsh and City Councilor Felix Arroyo are also eyeing the seat.
Also Wednesday, state Sen. Sonia Chang-Diaz said she will not run for mayor.
She expressed thanks to those who had reached out to her with encouragement to run but, she said, “this is not the right time for me and my family.”
With reporting by the WBUR Newsroom and The Associated Press. This post has also been updated with Morning Edition audio.