Marathon Bombing: Investigation And Aftermath

Editor’s Note: As of 4 p.m. on April 26, 2013, we are no longer updating this blog. For complete coverage of the marathon bombing and aftermath, see more stories here.


Bombing Suspect’s Mother Was On Terrorism Watchlist, Officials Tell AP

The Associated Press reports:

The mother of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects was added to a federal terrorism database about 18 months before the attack, government officials said Thursday.

Two government officials said the CIA had Zubeidat Tsarnaeva’s name listed along with that of her son Tamerlan Tsarnaev after Russia contacted the agency in 2011 with concerns that the two were religious militants about to travel to Russia. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the case.

Being in the classified TIDE database does not automatically mean a person is suspected by the U.S. of terrorist activity and does not automatically subject someone to surveillance, security screening or travel restrictions.


Mass. Congressional Delegates Recognize Marathon Victims, Survivors, ‘Public Safety Heroes’

One week after the suspect in the marathon bombings was captured, members of the Massachusetts Congressional delegation will honor victims and first responders on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives.

From 1:00-1:30 p.m. today, the “delegation along with members of Congress from neighboring states will recognize and thank law enforcement officers, medical professionals, first responders, and citizen heroes for their incredible bravery, dedication, and sacrifice,” according to the delegation’s press release.

The representatives will also honor those who lost their lives — Martin RichardKrystle Campbell, Lu Lingzi, and MIT officer Sean Collier — as well as those injured in the attacks, now totaling over 200.

“It was a difficult time not just for Massachusetts and the Greater Boston area but for the country,” Rep. Joseph Kennedy III of Massachusetts’ 4th District told WBUR earlier today. “There has been a silver lining to it, seeing how the community has come together has certainly been inspiring for a lot of people, myself included.”

Watch live on CPSAN.


Bombing Suspect Moved To Prison Facility

The surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings has been moved to federal medical detention facility about 40 miles west of Boston.

The U.S. Marshals Service says 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was moved overnight from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston to the Federal Medical Center Devens in central Massachusetts.

According to its website, the facility is an “administrative facility housing male offenders requiring specialized or long-term medical or mental health care” and also has a “satellite camp housing minimum security male inmates.”


Setting The Record Straight On Evolving Manhunt Details

The bombing suspects’ involvement in a robbery of a 7-Eleven. The Watertown resident’s boat not being in the police perimeter. The resident seeing blood on the boat’s tarp, which led him to find the suspect.

Over the last week, we’ve noted that these and a few other initial details from the manhunt — offered by authorities and then reported by us — have since been deemed incorrect.

In fact — and in the interest of setting the record straight on what we’ve reported — the suspects did not rob a convenience store, State Police told us later; the boat was within the sealed-off perimeter, Boston police said later; and the owner of the boat did not see blood, he told WCVB-TV. Additionally, officials told The Associated Press the suspect was unarmed in the boat when captured, which counters what Boston’s police commissioner had said earlier.

WBUR’s David Boeri and Anthony Brooks discussed these evolving details and the nature of fact-finding in a manhunt on Radio Boston. It’s worth a listen:

Benjamin Swasey


Marathon-Worn Sneakers On Boston Magazine’s Cover

Boston Magazine released its May cover this morning:

Boston Magazine's May cover

The cover is of shoes worn during the marathon and the soon-out issue features stories of runners who wore the shoes. Boston Magazine’s editor explains the story behind the cover here.


NYC Officials: Boston Suspects Sought To Set Off More Bombs In Times Square

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, left, and Mayor Michael Bloomberg hold a news conference, Thursday on the suspected Boston Marathon bombers. (Mark Lennihan/AP)

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, left, and Mayor Michael Bloomberg hold a news conference on the suspected Boston Marathon bombers. (Mark Lennihan/AP)

In a just-completed news conference, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said the Tsarnaev brothers intended to set off additional explosives in the city’s Times Square.

The NYC officials said the suspected Boston Marathon bombers had a pressure cooker bomb and five pipe bombs in their possession.

The Boston Globe adds:

… Kelly said that the Tsarnaevs had initially told investigators that he and his brother had decided to go to New York to “party.” But that story changed, he said, in a subsequent investigation.

Kelly said the brothers had “decided spontaneously” on Times Square as a target, while they were driving around [Greater Boston] in a carjacked Mercedes.


Tamerlan On 2 Watch Lists, And Other Developments Today

A roundup of today’s (Thursday) developments:

The Boston Globe and The New York Times report that killed bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev was placed on two separate terror watch lists — by the FBI and the CIA — after the two agencies were alerted to his suspicious activities by Russian authorities.

— Officials told The Associated Press surviving bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was unarmed when he was captured in a Watertown boat. The AP adds: “Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said earlier that shots were fired from inside the boat.”

— The suspects’ father today told reporters, including the AP, that he plans to leave Russia for the U.S. “today or tomorrow.” The father has expressed a desire to come to the U.S. to defend his younger son “and if possible bring his older son’s body back to Russia for burial,” the AP reports.

Meanwhile, in Rhode Island, Tamerlan’s widow “has not yet said whether she plans a funeral or wants to claim his body,” the AP reports.


Bombs Used Remote-Controlled Triggers, Officials Tell AP

More from The Associated Press in Washington:

U.S. officials say the Boston Marathon explosions that killed three people and wounded more than 260 were triggered by a remote-controlled detonator.

Two officials on Wednesday said the bombs were not very sophisticated. One of the officials described the detonator as “close-controlled” — meaning it had to be triggered within several blocks of the bombs.

It’s not clear what the detonation device was, the AP adds, but in the criminal complaint against him, authorities described Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as holding a cellphone before the blasts.

Separately, The Los Angeles Times (via NPR) reports that the bombs “were triggered by long-range remote controls for toy cars.”


Officials: U.S. Wars Fueled Suspects, AP Reports

Citing officials, The Associated Press reports from Washington:

U.S. officials say the surviving suspect in last week’s attack on the Boston Marathon has told investigators he and his brother were angry about U.S. wars in Muslim countries.

Two officials said that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev acknowledged the anti-U.S. motive while being questioned by investigators last weekend.

One official on Wednesday said Tsarnaev cited the U.S.-led invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan as the motive for the Boston attack. The official was briefed on the investigation by the FBI.

The other official is close to the investigation. Both officials demanded anonymity to talk about the ongoing probe.

Neighbors have described Dzhokhar’s older brother, Tamerlan, as visibly angry about the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The development follows a similar report from The Washington Post.


Free Parking On Boylston Street, Entire Back Bay Through Sunday

We reported earlier that Boylston Street and the Copley Square MBTA station have reopened to the public, but now there’s also this from the city:

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino today announced that parking at meters on Boylston Street, as well as throughout the entire Back Bay, will be free today through Sunday. The City encourages all to come back to the area, go to our restaurants, go to our shops and get involved in the recovery effort.

“Boston is strong and we will support Boylston Strong all weekend long,” Mayor Menino said.

He continued, “As of today, these businesses that have been off limits since Marathon Monday are open and are looking forward to receiving and serving their customers once again. To support the efforts of our local businesses through the end of the weekend, the City of Boston is offering free parking at meters on Boylston Street and throughout the entire Back Bay.”

The meters in question are located on all Back Bay streets between Arlington Street and Massachusetts Avenue, as well as those parking meters adjacent to the Public Garden.

Load more entries