More Coverage: Mass. Casinos
- Map: See All The Casino Proposals
- 7/14/14: 1 Way Mass. Casino Law Differs: Money For Neighboring Towns
- 7/11/14: Boston Reaches Impact Deal With Mohegan Sun
- 7/2/14: Mass. Casinos Have Majority Support, WBUR Poll Finds
- 6/24/14: Voters Can Decide Fate Of Casino Law, Mass. High Court Rules
- 6/13/14: Mass. Grants First Casino License To MGM Springfield
- 5/8/14: Boston No ‘Host Community’
- 5/8/14: Crosby Recuses Himself From Eastern Mass. Casino Vote
- 2/27/14: Plainville Gets Slots License
- 2/11/14: Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe In Final Phase Of Casino Land Bid
- 1/28/14: Foxwoods’ Fall River Plan
EVERETT — Voters in Everett have by an overwhelming margin given the green light to Las Vegas casino mogul Steve Wynn to continue his pursuit of a resort casino on the Mystic River.
A host community agreement between Wynn and the city of Everett was approved Saturday in a binding referendum by a more than 6-1 margin according to the city clerk. The vote was required before Wynn could apply for a casino license from the Massachusetts Gaming Commission.
Wynn has proposed a $1.2 billion casino at a site where a chemical plant once stood.
The agreement calls for Wynn to make $30 million in advance payments to Everett and more than $25 million in annual payments if the casino is built.
The project could face competition for the sole eastern Massachusetts casino license from proposals in Boston and Milford.