Featured Casinos Coverage
- Map: Casino And Slots Parlor Proposals
- 6/24: New Bedford Voters OK Casino
- 6/15: Plainville Slots Parlor Set To Open
- 5/14: By 1 Percentage Point, Brockton Residents Approve $650 Million Casino
- 3/24: Springfield Casino Breaks Ground
- 1/22: New Wynn Everett Design
- 1/5/15: Boston Sues Gaming Panel
- 12/4: Pilot To Limit Betting Approved
EVERETT Voters in Everett have by an overwhelming margin given the green light to Las Vegas casino mogul Steve Wynn to continue his pursuit of a resort casino on the Mystic River.
A host community agreement between Wynn and the city of Everett was approved Saturday in a binding referendum by a more than 6-1 margin according to the city clerk. The vote was required before Wynn could apply for a casino license from the Massachusetts Gaming Commission.
Wynn has proposed a $1.2 billion casino at a site where a chemical plant once stood.
The agreement calls for Wynn to make $30 million in advance payments to Everett and more than $25 million in annual payments if the casino is built.
The project could face competition for the sole eastern Massachusetts casino license from proposals in Boston and Milford.