Gov. Deval Patrick says a State Police sergeant “violated the rules” by releasing photos of the capture of the surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect.
But the governor did not appear eager to further discuss the release of the photos to Boston Magazine as he walked to his office Friday after a State House event, telling reporters to “talk to State Police.”
State Police spokesman David Procopio said earlier that the agency didn’t authorize Sgt. Sean Murphy to release the photos.
Procopio said Murphy had been relieved of duty for one day and an internal hearing would be held.
Murphy told the magazine he was furious over a Rolling Stone cover photo he believed glamorizes suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
State Public Safety Secretary Andrea Cabral, whose office oversees the state police, declined comment.