SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Officials in Springfield, where voters backed a proposed $800 million resort casino, are asking the state’s highest court to keep a proposed repeal of the Massachusetts casino gambling law off the November state ballot.
More Coverage: Mass. Casinos
- Google Map: See All The Casino Proposals
- 2/27/14: Plainville Gets The Slots License
- 2/25/14: Revere Voters Say Yes To Casino Proposal At Suffolk Downs
- 2/23/14: Casino Gambling Key To Survival For 2 Mass. Racetracks
- 2/11/14: Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe In Final Phase Of Casino Land Bid
- 1/28/14: Foxwoods Unveils Fall River Plan
- 1/23/14: MGM Makes Its Springfield Pitch
- 1/22/14: Rival Boston-Area Casino Developers Make Their Pitches
- 12/2/13: Gov. Patrick Sues To Block Martha’s Vineyard Casino
Mayor Domenic Sarno announced Thursday that he and nine other city residents filed a motion with the Supreme Judicial Court, which is expected to hear arguments soon on whether to allow the ballot question to proceed.
Attorney General Martha Coakley ruled last year that the initiative petition to repeal the law allowing up to three resort casinos and one slots parlor in Massachusetts could not go on the ballot. Coakley said the measure would violate the state constitution by amounting to an uncompensated taking of private property.
MGM Resorts International negotiated a host community agreement with Sarno that was approved by 58 percent of Springfield voters in July. The casino proposal is the only one remaining in western Massachusetts, putting it in a strong position to win a license from the state gambling commission later this year.
Edward Piluka, Springfield’s city solicitor, said the motion was filed to protect the city’s rights.
“Our efforts are aimed solely at assuring that the SJC gets the Springfield perspective as to the legality of the initiative petition,” Piluka said in a statement.
Repeal the Casino Deal did not immediately comment on Springfield’s motion.