Support the news
An influential institution is taking on Tennessee's prescription opioid epidemic. The Middle Tennessee School of Anesthesia in Nashville is teaching its students to use nerve blocks instead of opioids, both during surgery and after.
Blake Farmer of Here & Now contributor WPLN reports.
This segment aired on October 11, 2016.
- In Boston, Opioid Hack-Athon Generates Novel Ideas To Fight Crisis
- As Lethal Heroin Overdose Numbers Rise, Families Find Solace In Organ Donation
- 'Dope Sick' Offers A Look At Death By Fentanyl
- Peer Support Gaining As Tool For Addiction Recovery
- New Opioid Treatment Offers Hope For Addicts, But Challenges For Doctors
- DEA Plan To Ban Herbal Supplement Kratom Has Some Users Worried