Support the news
Firefighters battled a three-alarm blaze at a popular wedding venue in Foxborough on Saturday.
A Foxborough Fire Department dispatcher said the fire was reported around 7 p.m. at the historic Lakeview Pavillion and that wedding guests had been evacuated from the building.
The Sun Chronicle reports that flames broke through the roof of the building and that the roof had at least partially collapsed. The fire was knocked down around 10 p.m.
Foxborough's Deputy Fire Chief Steven Bagley is one of the 75 firefighters who put out the blaze.
"We believe somebody had accidentally caused the fire by discarding the cigarette into some mulch," Bagley said. He also said the building did not have sprinklers and firefighters took water from a nearby pond.
Justice of the Peace Jerry Cibley said the fire began at the end of the wedding, as the couple, their groomsmen and bridesmaids walked down the center aisle. He told WCVB that between 140 and 150 people attended the wedding.
Cibley said everyone got out safely; no injuries were reported.