Singer José James has a new album coming out on June 10 and you can tell from this song, "EveryLittleThing," the new record, While You Were Sleeping, is an electrifying new sound. He made a similar shift in style on a record well loved here at NPR in 2013, No Beginning No End. That record saw James shift his jazzy voice toward hip-hop. This new record shows his love for the soulful and electronic-based James Blake, Frank Ocean and bands that James says were influences in his youth: Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Radiohead and many late nights in East London Clubs hearing electronic music.
For now José James has a short tour that begins April 15 at World Café, and another in June.
While You Were Sleeping track listing:
1. Angel (José James)
2. U r the 1 (J. James/T. Billig/K. Bowers/B. Williams)
3. While You Were Sleeping (J. James)
4. Anywhere U Go (J. James/S. Dorsey)
5. Bodhisattva (J. James/S. Dorsey)
6. 4 Noble Truths (J. James)
7. Dragon feat. Becca Stevens (Becca Stevens)
8. Salaam (K. Bowers/B. Williams/S. Dorsey/R. Spaven)
9. Without U (J. James/T. Billig/B. Williams)
10. EveryLittleThing (J. James/K. Bowers)
11. xx (J. James)
12. Simply Beautiful feat. Takuya Kuroda (Al Green)
U.S. Tour dates:
April 15 – World Café Live – Philadelphia, Pa.
April 17-18 – Scullers – Boston, Mass.
April 20 – Evanston SPACE – Chicago, Ill.
April 21 – Cedar Cultural Center – Minneapolis, Minn.
April 22-23 – Dazzle – Denver, Colo.
April 24 – The Triple Door – Seattle, Wash
April 25 – Alberta Rose Theatre – Portland, Ore.
April 26 – The Independent – San Francisco, Calif.
June 12 – Highline Ballroom – New York, N.Y.
June 15 – Playboy Jazz Festival @ Hollywood Bowl – Los Angeles, Calif.
June 20 – Magoffin Auditorium – El Paso, Texas
June 21 – Charline McCombs Empire Theatre – San Antonio, Texas
June 22 – Empire Control Room – Austin, Texas
June 26 – The Pour House – Raleigh, N.C.
June 28 – Variety Playhouse – Atlanta, Ga.
Copyright NPR. View this article on npr.org.