Support the news
Part 3 of the TED Radio Hour episode What Is Original?
About Johanna Blakley's TEDTalk
Copyright law barely touches fashion — and the industry benefits in innovation and sales, says Johanna Blakley. She explains what all creative industries can learn from fashion's free culture.
About Johanna Blakley
The genius is really in curating things from the past and reviving them in the present.Johanna Blakley
Johanna Blakley is managing director and director of research of the Norman Lear Center focusing on how entertainment interacts with our political, commercial and social habits. She especially interested in the impact of intellectual property rights on innovation, organizing conferences around the lack of creative ownership in fashion, and technology's role in ownership of creative content. She is a lecturer at USC who helped develop their masters program in public diplomacy.
- Related TED Playlist: The Remix
- Related TEDTalk: Lawrence Lessig on "Laws That Choke Creativity"
- Related TEDTalk: Johanna Blakley on "Social Media And The End Of Gender"
- Tim Gunn: On And Off The Runway, 'Life Is A Big Collaboration'
- The Straight-To-DVD World Of 'Mockbusters'
- Designers Get Fierce With Copyright On The Catwalk
- What is Original?