WBUR is seeking a Full-Stack Web Developer to join WBUR's Product Team of developers and product managers. The role is to develop, maintain, and expand the technologies that power our digital journalism on wbur.org, within our mobile app, and across our emerging digital distribution platforms. The ideal candidate has experience working with a wide variety of digital technologies, a passion for journalism and public media, and a desire to build the future for WBUR. This role is a mix of tactical, hands-on, urgent work and longer-term, strategic, impactful development integrations and enhancements. The ideal candidate has strong interpersonal skills, is collaborative, and can build trust and rapport across the organization. You are focused on the audience and care deeply about how design, engineering, and product decisions contribute to creating a seamless and engaging audience experience. This position has the ability to be hybrid.
Please include a cover letter with your resume indicating how your experience aligns with this position. Submission without a cover letter will not be considered.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience developing web applications and digital products in an agile environment.
- 3+ years' back-end programming experience working with PHP and or NodeJS.
- Strong fluency with HTML/CSS, including knowledge of CSS preprocessors (e.g., LESS, SCSS).
- Experience in modern web development, especially package management (e.g., NPM, Yum, Grunt, Gulp, or Webpack).
- Experience working with Linux CLI and using CLI version control tools (e.g., Git).
- Experience working with CMS platforms, particularly Wordpress headless; Wordpress plugin development and experience with Laraval/Lumen, a plus.
- Experience working in a local development environment using virtual machines/containers (e.g., Vagrant, Ansible, Docker).
- Knowledge of building, implementing, and consuming/integrating RESTful APIs.
- Knowledge of basic DevOps, working with common software stacks (e.g., Nginx, PHP-FPM, Node/PM2, Varnish)
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Tag Manager, and DFP or other common 3rd party analytics tools, a plus.
- Familiarity with UI/UX design, a plus.
- Familiarity with live streaming systems and protocols (e.g., Icecast, StreamGuys, Megaphone) and audio processing technologies (e.g., ffmpeg, audio transcoding), a plus.
- Familiarity or experience with news/publishing/media organizations, a plus.
WBUR, Boston's NPR news station, is a public media organization committed to exceptional journalism and deep civic engagement providing news, analysis, and entertainment on-air, online at wbur.org, on-demand, and on stage. WBUR is the home of national programs Here & Now and On Point, reaching millions of listeners each week on more than 500 public radio stations nationwide. The WBUR iLab produces popular podcasts including Circle Round and Endless Thread. WBUR serves its local community with the largest public radio newsroom in the country and with CitySpace, a dynamic, new venue for civic discourse and cultural exchange.