Support the news

2 Charged In NH Bus Bomb Scare

This article is more than 9 years old.

Video courtesy of NECN

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. — Two passengers have been arrested in connection with a daylong bomb scare on a Greyhound bus in Portsmouth, N.H.

Police say John Smolens, of Lewiston, Maine, was charged with resisting arrest for his behavior after he got off the off the Maine-to-New York bus. Another passenger, Calvin Segar, of New York City, was charged with obstructing officers.

Both are to be arraigned in Portsmouth later Friday.

The bomb scare and standoff began Thursday morning when a passenger reported hearing another passenger say a bomb was on the bus and called 911, prompting police to surround the bus.

The overheard man was a foreign national from Burundi who was too scared to get off the bus. He will not be charged.

The 911 call around 11:15 a.m. Thursday prompted authorities to evacuate buildings and streets and to surround the bus with a bomb squad and sharpshooters. The other 16 passengers and the driver got off safely, but the Burundi man refused to leave until about 8:40 p.m.

He emerged from the bus shirtless and in camouflage pants, with his hands held high over his head. He then went to his knees before soon getting up and appearing to follow orders from police to walk away from the bus.

No explosives were found on the bus, which began its trip in Bangor, Maine, made a scheduled stop in Portsmouth and was en route to Boston and then New York.

Several federal agencies had responded to the scene. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Harold Ort said only that there was an "ongoing issue" and that ICE was helping the investigation.

Throughout the day, police kept the curious at a distance and gave little information of what was happening. They said they established a way to communicate with the remaining passenger but wouldn't give details.

Passenger Danielle Everett, 20, of Poland, Maine, said she didn't see anything suspicious on the bus.

"It really wasn't any big deal," said Everett, who was met at the Portsmouth police station by her concerned father.

This program aired on May 7, 2010. The audio for this program is not available.

+Join the discussion

Support the news