NH College Student Dies Of Bacterial Meningitis
A New Hampshire college says one of its students died of bacterial meningitis at a Worcester hospital. Franklin Pierce University says Benjamin P. Plante of Ashby was a sophomore there. He died Tuesday night.
His father, Steven, tells the Telegram & Gazette newspaper that his son complained of flu-like symptoms over the weekend. On Tuesday, his symptoms got worse, and he said he was feeling the worst pain of his life. His parents called 911.
A spokeswoman says the Massachusetts Department of Public Health is investigating with the New Hampshire Department of Public Health.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord. It spreads through throat and respiratory secretions, not through casual contact.
This program aired on April 7, 2011. The audio for this program is not available.