Support the news

Memo: Bulger Came Back To Boston As Armed Fugitive

This article is more than 8 years old.

Gangster James "Whitey" Bulger told authorities he traveled to Boston during his 16 years on the run from a federal indictment.

According to filings made public by the U.S. Attorney's office Monday, Bulger waived his Miranda rights on his way back to Boston after he was captured in Santa Monica, Calif., last week. He told agents he came to Boston in disguise "on several occasions while 'armed to the teeth' because he 'had to take care of some unfinished business.'"

Bulger refused to say when he returned to Boston or whom he visited, according to the filing.

The filing also says Bulger claimed to take trips to Las Vegas to play slot machines. Bulger said he "won more than he lost."

The revelations are part of the wrangling over whether Bulger will get a court-appointed lawyer.

The government argues Bulger's brother, former state Senate President William Bulger, might be willing to pay for an attorney for James Bulger. The U.S. Attorney wants an affidavit from William Bulger on the issue.

But Bulger's temporary court-appointed lawyer, Peter Krupp, said in a filing that Bulger "has not and will not" ask his family to hire a lawyer for him.

Filings also suggest that Bulger might seek a change of trial venue, citing the books and movies about the allegations against Bulger.

"It will be as close to impossible for Mr. Bulger to get a fair trial on these charges as can be, and certainly more challenging than in any case in modern memory," Krupp wrote in a filing.

Both sides will appear in federal court on the court-appointed lawyer issue Tuesday.

This program aired on June 27, 2011. The audio for this program is not available.

+Join the discussion
TwitterfacebookEmail

Support the news