Norfolk DA Morrissey: Medical Problem Caused Car Crash

Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey says a four-car crash he triggered in Milton after crossing the center line came after he blacked out due to a medical problem caused by fatigue, dehydration and the extreme heat.

In a statement Thursday, Morrissey said he was driving home Tuesday evening when he began sweating and felt lightheaded.

He said the next thing he knew, he was outside his car, which was stopped across the road.

Four were hurt, including Morrissey, who suffered injuries to his hand and torso. The 58-year-old Morrissey was in the hospital the longest. He was released Wednesday.

Morrissey said his medical records showed there was no alcohol in his system and that witnesses said speed didn't factor into the crash.

Morrissey was cited by Milton police, but they haven't specified the infraction.

-- Here's Morrissey's full statement:

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013, I left my office in Canton and was traveling to my home in Quincy. While traveling on Centre Street in Milton, I was involved in a multi-car accident. Prior to the accident, I had made a series of phone calls on my hands free wireless telephone. The last call I made was to order a pizza. Shortly after that last telephone call, I was perspiring and felt lightheaded and the next thing I recall is being outside of my car which was stopped across two lanes of traffic.

At the time of the accident, I did not know what happened. Individuals at the scene told me my car crossed over the center line causing the accident. I have no reason to dispute that.

I was transported to Milton Hospital and received treatment until yesterday at 5:30 p.m. when I was discharged. My medical records reveal that there was no alcohol in my system. Also, witnesses indicated that speed was not a factor. Instead, my medical records will show that I suffered a medical episode that caused me to lose consciousness and cross over the center line into the opposite lane of travel. The visible injuries I suffered were to my hand and torso. Fatigue, dehydration and extreme temperatures contributed to my loss of consciousness. On my doctor’s advice, I plan to take some time off to recuperate.

Immediately after the accident, the Milton Police Department issued me a citation. A hearing will be held shortly to determine any criminal liability. It is my hope that this is a speedy process and my intention is to make my medical records available at that time to appropriate personnel.

I am grateful that the other parties involved in the accident appear to be okay as they were treated and released from the hospital. I wish them a speedy recovery.

I am also grateful for the work of the Milton Police, emergency medical personnel and concerned citizens who assisted at the scene.

This is an unfortunate accident. I intend to be as transparent as possible in this process.

This program aired on July 18, 2013. The audio for this program is not available.


More from WBUR

Listen Live