Suspect In South Boston Attacks Held On $3M Bail

This article is more than 7 years old.

A Boston man suspected of fatally stabbing a 24-year-old woman and leaving her body in a city park was held Wednesday on $3 million bail in connection with two unrelated assaults.

Not guilty pleas were entered on behalf of Edwin Alemany, 28, to charges of armed assault with intent to murder, kidnapping, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon at his arraignment in South Boston District Court.

Edwin Alemany, in South Boston District Court Wednesday (David L Ryan/The Boston Globe/AP)
Edwin Alemany, in South Boston District Court Wednesday (David L Ryan/The Boston Globe/AP)

The first victim was attacked just after 4 a.m. on July 23. Her attacker threatened to kill her, punched her in the face, then dragged her by her legs into a parking lot before letting her go, prosecutor John Pappas said.

"You're not the one I'm looking for. I'm sorry," Pappas said the attacker told the woman.

Alemany then allegedly stabbed another woman in the torso, face and neck just after midnight on July 24, breaking off the attack when it drew the attention of neighbors, Pappas said.

Between those two assaults, prosecutors allege, Alemany kidnapped Amy Lord, and forced her to withdraw cash from five ATMs in less than an hour.

Lord's Jeep was found ablaze in South Boston later that day. A bicyclist discovered Lord's body at Stony Brook Reservation in the city's Hyde Park neighborhood that afternoon.

Lord was a former high school cheerleader from Wilbraham who had attended Bentley University in Waltham and moved to South Boston when she landed a job at a digital media company. Her family said she loved Southie because she found the same small town values she had grown up with.

Alemany is scheduled to be arraigned in connection with Lord's death Thursday in West Roxbury District Court.

He had been sent to a state mental health facility after his arrest, but has since been transferred to jail.

Alemany has mental health problems that have not been properly treated, his attorney, Jeffrey Denner, said outside court on Wednesday.

"This is somebody with a long, long history of serious mental illness," he said.

"There is an issue here of whether the system functioned in a way that protected him and protected the public. None of that is an excuse. This is all an explanation and context for what is a horrible tragedy," Denner said.

This article was originally published on August 14, 2013.

This program aired on August 14, 2013. The audio for this program is not available.