The son of Red Sox broadcaster Jerry Remy pleaded not guilty Tuesday in the stabbing death of his girlfriend as his lawyer fought an attempt by prosecutors to release what the defense called an inflammatory summary of the evidence against him.
Jared Remy, 35, is charged in the Aug. 15 stabbing death of Jennifer Martel, 27.
Authorities say Remy stabbed Martel at their Waltham apartment and was covered in blood when they arrested him there. A neighbor told police he tried unsuccessfully to pull Remy off Martel during the attack, which came a day after Remy was released from custody after being accused of assaulting Martel.
Remy entered his plea during his arraignment on murder and assault charges in Superior Court. A magistrate ordered him held without bail after his lawyer, Edward Ryan Jr., said he would not seek his release at this point.
Prosecutors were prepared to file a document in court Tuesday that summarizes the state's case against Remy, Assistant District Attorney Lisa McGovern said.
Ryan said he objected to release of document, saying in many cases it amounts to a "self-serving recitation of the facts that they allege."
In Remy's case, he said, there is no reason for prosecutors to release the document, called a statement of the case, because Remy is not seeking to be released on bail so prosecutors do not need to spell out their case against him.
"There is no purpose in this case served by filing an inflammatory statement of the case," Ryan said. He would not discuss its contents.
Ryan said Judge Kathe Tuttman granted his request to preliminarily bar prosecutors from filing the statement, but she agreed to hear additional arguments from both sides. A hearing was scheduled for Oct. 15.
Ryan declined to comment on what Remy's defense will be.
In a jailhouse interview with The Boston Herald on Sunday, Remy denied killing Martel and said he still loves her. The couple has a 5-year-old daughter.
Martel posted to her Facebook page the night she was killed, "Jennifer Martel is in a complicated (Relationship)," according to court documents. The 8:26 p.m. posting was described in a list of evidence turned over to the defense Tuesday.
After his son's arrest, Jerry Remy announced that he would not return to the broadcast booth this season. He was not in court Tuesday.
Ryan said Remy's parents "are very supportive of him" and have "good reasons" for not going to court.
"Their hearts bleed for the victim in this case and the child involved," he said.
Remy is due back in court on Oct. 28 for a pretrial conference.
He had already pleaded not guilty in District Court. After he was indicted, the case moved to Superior Court.
This article was originally published on October 08, 2013.
This program aired on October 8, 2013. The audio for this program is not available.