For the second time in five days, Rep. Carlos Henriquez was transported to the State House Tuesday by Middlesex County Sheriff’s Department official to testify before the House Ethics Committee as the panel weighs possible discipline against the Dorchester Democrat, convicted on two counts of assault and battery.
Just as he was on Friday, Henriquez was handcuffed as he was led in and out of a first floor hearing room. Sen. Robert Hedlund, a Weymouth Republican, says he encountered Henriquez on an elevator being led out of the building through the State House parking garage. Officials managed to keep Henriquez’s second visit to the capital quieter than his Friday appearance, when a gaggle of reporters and television cameras awaited his arrival.
In a video captured by The Boston Globe on Tuesday, Henriquez did not respond to a question about whether he planned to resign. House leaders, Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Marty Walsh have urged Henriquez to give up his 5th Suffolk District seat since his conviction on Jan. 15, but the lawmaker’s attorney last week said Henriquez had not yet made up his mind and maintains his innocence. Henriquez has appealed his conviction.
On Tuesday morning, a tweet from Henriquez's Twitter account urged supporters to write to House Speaker Robert DeLeo on his behalf:
If you live in Roxbury and feel that Carlos has helped the community, email the Speaker to share your support at Robert.Deleo@mahouse.gov
— Carlos Henriquez (@RepHenriquez) January 28, 2014
It’s unclear whether Henriquez posted the note himself, or if someone did it on his behalf.
This article was originally published on January 28, 2014.