The Massachusetts Department of Public Health reported five new cases of coronavirus on Saturday, bringing the state's total tally to 13.
The five new cases quickly followed the department's announcement of eight total cases on Friday morning.
Four of the new cases are two men and two women from Middlesex County ranging in age from their 40s to their 60s, the DPH said in a statement Saturday afternoon. The remaining new case is a man in his 60s from Berkshire County.
"Of these five cases, three had a direct connection to the Biogen employee conference last week, one had recent international travel that included northern Italy, and the fifth case is still under investigation," said the Department of Public Health in the statement.
The Biogen conference was held at the Longwharf Marriott in Boston that was attended by roughly 175 participants last week.
The new cases are presumptive positive, pending a confirmation of the state's results by the CDC.
"As of Wednesday, March 4th, 719 people have been subject to self-quarantine in Massachusetts because of COVID-19," the DPH statement said. "Of those, 470 people have completed monitoring and are no longer quarantined, while 249 are currently quarantined."
In Norwood, 11 town officials and employees are in self-quarantine after they were at a party with a resident who has been diagnosed with COVID-19. School superintendent David Thompson is one of the 30, but town officials said in a press release that schools will be open for regular business on Monday.
Another case of the coronavirus in Rhode Island was announced yesterday by Rhode Island state officials. This case, a woman in her 60s, is also presumptive, and brings the state's total count to three.
This article was originally published on March 07, 2020.