Skip to main content

Support WBUR

Mass. officials prep for power outages, wind and rain ahead of pre-Christmas storm

A windsock stands in the strong wind while a crow flies in the background. (Photo by Thomas Warnack/picture alliance via Getty Images)
A windsock stands in the strong wind while a crow flies in the background. (Photo by Thomas Warnack/picture alliance via Getty Images)

Editor's Note: This is an excerpt from WBUR's daily morning newsletter, WBUR Today. If you like what you read and want it in your inbox, sign up here


So, how concerned do we need to be about the big pre-Christmas storm arriving in New England tonight? We’re definitely avoiding the worst of the weather compared to other parts of the country. But its timing is, admittedly, not great. Here’s the outlook:

  • Wind is the big issue. WBUR’s Simón Rios reports that Eversource expects the storm — which is slated to hit eastern Massachusetts with gusts as high as 60 mph on Friday — to result in downed trees and lengthy power outages for as many as 70,000 households across the state. Craig Hallstrom, the regional head of Eversource’s electrical operations, says some homes could lose power for up to two-and-a-half days, though he hopes service is fully restored by Christmas Eve. (Hallstrom said the utility company went so far as to cancel all vacations so there are crews positioned and ready to respond to outages.)
  • Travelers, beware: Forecasters are warning those on the roads to drive with “extra caution,” as the gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects. (Both hands on the wheel!) The high winds could also affect flights at Logan airport. (There’s currently over 30 cancellations.) And it’s basically all but certain ferry service to Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket will be canceled Friday.
  • What should you do if you’re staying home? MEMA has some recommendations, including: keep your phone charged, test your generators or sump pumps and secure those outdoor holiday decorations.

It’s not very often you see Sen. Elizabeth Warren join forces with Wisconsin’s GOP Sen. Ron Johnson. However, the senators from our nation’s top cranberry-growing states are teaming up as part of a semantic battle over a new Food and Drug Administration proposal that they say threatens to tarnish the reputation of Massachusetts’ official state berry — and hurt those who grow it. Led by Rep. Bill Keating, over two dozen members of Congress are calling on the FDA to revisit proposed rules that would prevent dried cranberries from being called “healthy” because of their added sugar. “This would not only harm farmers who cultivate these fruits, but also American consumers who could be discouraged from consuming these nutrient-dense products,” they wrote in a recent letter to the FDA.

  • The backstory: Health experts generally agree that Americans consume too much added sugar. As part of their recent efforts to shed light on how added sugar sneaks into many foods, the FDA proposed new standards this fall on what foods can be labeled “healthy.” And when it comes to fruit, the proposed rules say that products with any added sugar can’t carry that label.
  • That may make sense for other fruits that already have naturally occurring sugars. But Keating, who represents bog-dense southeastern Massachusetts, argues that cranberries uniquely lack natural sugars and thus require extra sweetening to taste good. Even with that added sugar, Keating told WBUR’s Amy Sokolow that cranberries’ sugar content is similar to other fruit and “less than what’s in an orange.” (His letter also noted that the FDA itself has said there’s no difference between how the body processes natural and added sugars.)
  • What’s next: The FDA has bent to the Congressional Cranberry Caucus (yes, a real thing) before over added sugar labeling rules. Could they be swayed again? An FDA spokesperson told me they’ll take all feedback into account. Right now, they wouldn’t require companies to comply until 2026. So, we can keep calling those Craisins healthy for at least three more years — maybe longer if the Cranberry Caucus gets their way.

Massachusetts’ largest offshore wind project may remain mired in uncertainty into the new year — and new administration — after a request last week from its developer to scrap their current contract with the state and reopen bidding. Beth Card, the energy and environment chief for outgoing Gov. Charlie Baker, suggested yesterday that the state may not make a decision on the request by the end of his term.

  • Commonwealth Wind’s developer, Avangrid, argues the project is no longer “viable” under the current contract due to inflation and interest rate hikes. (It’s not to be confused with the state’s first offshore wind farm, Vineyard Wind I, which is due to come online in late 2023.)

P.S.— The Here & Now team rounded up some staff recommendations for a winter movie night. The list is a mix of classic holiday flicks and other films with a cold-weather theme. (They may be exactly what you need if you’re cooped up during the storm tonight or tomorrow.)

Headshot of Nik DeCosta-Klipa
Nik DeCosta-Klipa Senior Editor, Newsletters

Nik DeCosta-Klipa is a senior editor for newsletters at WBUR.

More…

Support WBUR

Support WBUR

Listen Live