The man who allegedly killed a 4-year-old boy in a hit-and-run in Hyde Park was arraigned on Tuesday.
During his arraignment at the West Roxbury division of Boston Municipal Court, suspect Olguens Joseph entered a not-guilty plea. Bail was set at $15,000.
Joseph turned himself in on Monday after he was wanted on an arrest warrant. Police earlier had issued an arrest warrant for motor vehicle homicide by negligent operation; leaving the scene of personal injury and death; and operation of an unregistered/uninsured motor vehicle. The child was struck and died on July 18.
Police previously released an image of the gray Chevrolet car officers believed hit the boy and asked the public for help locating the car or sharing information.
Officers said the driver of that car hit the boy near 165 Wood Ave. at around 9:30 p.m. and fled the area without stopping.
An off-duty firefighter was the first to provide aid to the child, police said. Emergency medical services transported him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Joseph is set to return to court on Aug. 30.
This article was originally published on August 01, 2023.