Skip to main content

Support WBUR

Council rejects Gov. Healey's Parole Board nominee

Gov. Maura Healey speaks to the Governor's Council ahead of its vote on her Parole Board nominee on May 20, 2026. (Katie Castellani / SHNS)
Gov. Maura Healey speaks to the Governor's Council ahead of its vote on her Parole Board nominee on May 20, 2026. (Katie Castellani / SHNS)

The Governor’s Council on Wednesday rejected a Parole Board nominee, dealing Gov. Maura Healey a setback as she attempts to influence the board's makeup.

Vincent DeMore's nomination failed on a 4-3 vote. Councilors Joseph Ferreira of Swansea, Tamisha Civil of Stoughton and Terrence Kennedy of Lynnfield voted for DeMore. Councilors Tara Jacobs of North Adams, Paul DePalo of Worcester, Christopher Iannella of Boston and Mara Dolan of Concord voted against his nomination.

The vote by the all-Democrat elected body came after Healey wrote a letter to the council and made an unusual appearance before the group where she implored members to support her nominee.

"Why I stand here today, and what I believe is so clearly needed, is a member who has deep experience within the criminal justice system, who has experience as a prosecutor and who has experience working directly with victims of crime," Healey said.

She noted current Parole Board members include a forensic psychologist, someone who has worked in the juvenile justice system and a member with reentry expertise.

DeMore's nomination sparked backlash from those who said his work as a prosecutor doesn't reflect the “type of multidisciplinary, rehabilitative expertise” needed on the board. At an April hearing, opponents also said DeMore may follow other board members who left the board to pursue judgeships.

DeMore has worked as defense counsel in state and federal courts and worked in the Suffolk County district attorney's office for 11 years beginning in 2007. DeMore has worked since 2019 at Henning Strategies. Since 2021, DeMore has also been a judge advocate in the U.S. Army Reserve.

Kennedy told councilors that he knows DeMore and while he was a prosecutor, he is currently a defense lawyer.

"The fact that at one time somebody was a prosecutor should somehow preclude them from being on the Parole Board is absurd," Kennedy said. "So, I don't think that should be the litmus test, but I also don't think he's a prosecutor. I think it's a label that's been put on him."

Kennedy said it's "a sad day that somebody who has dedicated his life to public service, who wants to continue to dedicate his life to public service" will not be confirmed.

Councilors referenced the shooting along Cambridge's Memorial Drive on May 11 as a reason to improve the Parole Board and confirm DeMore. Tyler Brown allegedly sprayed bullets along the busy road, seriously injuring two drivers. Brown was previously convicted of firing a gun at police. The Parole Board's 2025 decision to release Brown shows he was a medium risk for reoffense and remorseful. Brown has pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from the shooting.

Civil told the State House News Service she asked constituents what they thought about DeMore and the Memorial Drive shooting "really put people on edge."

"I felt that being someone who works with victims and continues to work with victims in the community, it would be a slap in the face not to vote for him, because of these incidents that that continuously occur," Civil said.

District attorneys from across the state expressed support for DeMore’s nomination in a letter sent to the Governor’s Council on Tuesday. The letter was signed by Kevin Hayden, president of the Massachusetts District Attorneys Association and Suffolk County District Attorney.

The district attorneys said having someone with prosecutorial perspective on the board is “vitally necessary.”

“After many years of our collective experience as the Commonwealth’s District Attorneys, we have witnessed firsthand the consequences – for victims and witnesses, their families and communities impacted by crime – when parole decisions are made without adequate representation from those who have advocated for victims and centered public safety,” they said in the letter.

Only councilors who voted in favor of DeMore's nomination offered remarks during the hearing.

After the hearing, Iannella said the board needs more members with backgrounds in social supports.

"Most of the people in prison today have drug issues and alcohol. We need more rehabilitation. We need more resources," he told reporters. "I voted — I think everyone in this room has voted — for prosecutors for the Parole Board. I know I have. But we need more social science people on that Parole Board."

Healey said the council's vote was "very disappointing."

"I laid out why I thought that this person and this candidate with these credentials was absolutely appropriate and needed for the Parole Board. That will continue to be my position as we go forward," she told reporters after the hearing. "I think it's important to have on the parole board somebody who brings deep experience in the criminal justice system as a prosecutor and someone who has worked with victims and survivors."

Councilors unanimously confirmed Thomas Trilla as clerk magistrate for the Northeast Housing Court

Related:

Support WBUR

Support WBUR

Listen Live