We're hoping to get a high-quality recording of your voice without making you leave the house! Fortunately, your smartphone has a high quality microphone. So here are instructions for how you can record yourself on your smartphone, and then email us the recording afterward.
Before you start, a couple pro tips. First, try to find the quietest space available for recording. If you can record in a non-echoey room (think low ceilings and carpet), that's even better. Remember to speak slowly and clearly.
Here's how to record!
How To Record A Voice Memo From An iPhone
1. Grab your phone and find the voice memos app. It should look like this:
2. Open the app. It should look like this:
3. Press the red record button. Make sure you see sound waves when you start speaking.
4. Now hold the phone to your ear (not in front of your mouth) like a normal phone call and speak your message. If you are willing, please include your first and last name and your location on the recording.
5. When you are finished, press the red “Stop” square. Then press “Done.”
6. The file will automatically be added to your list of recordings. Tap the file name and it will give you the option to rename it. Change the file name to Modern Love Your Name.
7. Now you should see your memo in the list of recordings on the screen. Press on the voice memo you just recorded and listen to make sure it came out OK.
8. Your screen should now look like this. Click on the row of three dots.
9. Your screen should now look like this. Click 'share.'
10. Next, options should appear for sending the file. Please email us the file at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How To Record A Voice Memo From An Android Phone
1. Grab your phone and find (or download) a simple voice recorder app. There are a lot of options. Some examples include "Audio Recorder" from Sony or "Voice Recorder" from Green Apple Studio.
2. Open the app. It should look something like this:
3. Click on “settings” on the bottom right. Be sure that you are set on the best quality MP3 preset. Press the “back” button.
4. Press the red record button. Make sure you see levels on the input meter. Also be sure you have enough remaining time to finish your message.
5. Now hold the phone to your ear (not if front of your mouth) like a normal phone call and speak your message.
6. When you are done, press the red “stop” square. It will prompt you to name the file. Name it “Modern Love [Your Name].” Hit OK.
7. Press on “Recording list.” Choose the voice memo you just recorded and listen to make sure it came out OK. Then press the share button on the top right.
8. Now choose the email program you use and send the recording to email@example.com.