New reports from The Guttmacher Institute found that unintended pregnancies cost taxpayers $11 billion annually. And two-thirds of births resulting from unintended pregnancies—more than one million births—are publicly funded, the research found. In conjunction with these new reports, the Institute also produced a just-the-facts-ma'am video on who gets abortions in America, including these surprising facts:
1. One of every three women in the U.S. will have an abortion by age 45
2. Six in 10 women who have an abortion already have a child; and women cite the need to adequately care for their existing child or children as a key reason to not have more
3. Three out of four women who have abortions describe themselves as religious
4. Catholic woman have abortions at about the same rate as women overall
5. In 2008, four in 10 abortion patients had incomes below the federal poverty line
This program aired on May 19, 2011. The audio for this program is not available.