We know that musician Leopold Mozart was proud of his son Wolfgang Amadeus; imagine how proud you'd be if you were the parents of two musical prodigies.
Vivian and Don Weilerstein are. Their 29 year-old daughter, cellist Alisa Weilerstein, just won the MacArthur genius grant. And this summer her 23 year-old brother Joshua Weilerstein was named one of two assistant conductors at the New York Philharmonic.
And Vivian and Don are musicians themselves-- they're on the faculty of the New England Conservatory and The Julliard School, respectively.
Between the four of them, someone is almost always rehearsing, performing or traveling somewhere to perform or teach. We managed to get the entire family together at one time, to talk about their musical lives.
- Boston.com: He's Taken The Baton And Run With It
- YouTube: Joshua Weilerstein Condust The Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra Of Venezuela
- YouTube: Alisa Weilerstein Plays With The Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra Of Venezuela
- NEC Music: Weilerstein Trio Concert On October 30
- YouTube: Three Year Old 'Conducts' Beethoven
- Vivian, Don Alisa and Joshua Weilerstein, all musicians
This segment aired on October 25, 2011.