John Philip Sousa's "The Stars and Stripes Forever" is an intrinsic part of many Fourth of July celebrations. An act of Congress named it the official United States National March.
But as Keith Brion, longtime Sousa lover and founder of the New Sousa Band told Here & Now's Robin Young, Sousa "was patriotic to the core" and many of his other works would also fit well into a fourth of July concert.
With the holiday coming up, we take a listen to a selection of Sousa marches.
6 Patriotic Marches By John Philip Sousa
- "Hail to the Spirit of Liberty" performed by Keith Brion and the Band of the Royal Artillery
- "The Stars and Stripes Forever" performed by Keith Brion and the New Sousa Band
- "The U.S. Field Artillery March" performed by Keith Brion and the New Sousa Band
- "The Liberty Bell March" performed by the Washington Winds
- "The Yorktown Centennial March" performed by Marine Band of the Royal Netherlands Navy
- "The New York Hippodrome March" performed by Keith Brion and the New Sousa Band
This segment aired on July 2, 2015.