In Illinois, the presidential race is not very close. A recent Loras College poll showed Hillary Clinton leading Donald Trump 43 to 30 percent.
But the Senate race is a different story.
Republican incumbent Sen. Mark Kirk is facing a tough challenge from Democratic Congresswoman Tammy Duckworth.
WBEZ's Tony Arnold tells Here & Now's Jeremy Hobson that the tone of the race has gone negative.
This segment aired on September 21, 2016.
- Republicans Are Now Favored To Hold The Senate In Our Inaugural 2016 Senate Race Ratings
- Senate Tracker: Pennslyvania Republican Incumbent Grapples With Stance On Trump
- Senate Tracker: In Indiana, Former Senator Mounts Contested Comeback
- Senate Tracker: In Missouri, A Closer Race Than Republicans Want
- Senate Tracker: Trump, McCrory Impacting North Carolina Senate Race
- Senate Tracker: In Reliably Republican Alaska, Challenges From A Democrat And An Independent