There's a new book out on one of our favorite topics: mispronounced words.
Here & Now's Robin Young speaks with Kathryn and Ross Petras, co-authors of "You’re Saying It Wrong."
You can also test your knowledge with a word pronunciation quiz.
19 Commonly Mispronounced Words
- asterisk: ASS-ter-isk not ASS-ter-icks or ASS-ter-ick
- badminton: BAD-mint-en not BAD-mitt-en
- coup de grace: coo-de-GRAHS not coo-de-GRAH
- coxswain: COCK-suhn not cox-SWANE
- detritus: de-TRY-tuss, not DEH-trit-uss
- electoral: ee-LECK-tor-uhl not ee-leck-TOR-uhl or ee-leck-TOR-ee-uhl
- for all intents and purposes: for all intents and purposes, not for all intensive purposes
- heartrending: HART-rending, not hart-REN-der-ing
- mischievous: MIS-chu-vus, not mis-CHEE-vee-us
- orangutan: aw-RANG-uh-tan or uh-RANG-uh-tan, not aw-RANG-uh-tang
- pho: fuh, not phoh
- quay: kee, not kway
- quinoa: KEEN-wah, not KWIN-oh-ah or kwin-OH-a
- remuneration: ri-MYOO-nuh-ray-shuhn, not re-NOOM-err-ay-shuhn
- restaurateur: res-ter-uh-TOOR, not rest-ter-ahnt-TOOR
- supposedly: sup-POSE-ed-lee, not sup-POSE-ah-blee
- triathlon: tri-ATH-luhn, not tri-ATH-ah-luhn
- utmost: UT-most, not UP-most
- victual: VIT-l, not VIC-tchoo-uhl
Kathryn and Ross Petras, co-authors of "You’re Saying It Wrong: A Pronunciation Guide to the 150 Most Commonly Mispronounced Words and Their Tangled Histories of Misuse."
This segment aired on October 7, 2016.