This is a pivotal moment to join WBUR. With new leadership and a renewed sense of mission centered on local news, we have a clear view of the work to be done to build the digital future of a world-class public media institution. WBUR seeks a Senior Manager, Software Engineering who has demonstrated skills as a team manager, systems architect, and software engineer.
This role will architect and build, with teams and partners inside and outside of the organization, scalable and robust systems that serve our audiences on all our distribution platforms (streaming and on-demand audio, web, mobile, social, and emerging platforms).
This is a role within WBUR's Product department, a team of product managers, data analysts, and software engineers. The Product team works with collaborators across the station to launch, maintain, and enhance the digital experience with WBUR's journalism. The ideal candidate has experience working with a wide variety of audio, web, and mobile technologies, a passion for journalism and public media, and a desire to build the future of WBUR.
- Manage the team that builds, maintains, and evolves digital and audio platforms for WBUR, as well as oversee the software engineering done by external vendors and partners. Introduce, where appropriate, processes for software development and system architectures, with an understanding of how to balance process versus agility at a small, non-profit organization.
- Establish near-term (3-month) and long-term (1-2 year) project plans, roadmaps, and deliverables for improving WBUR's digital infrastructure, through identifying media industry trends, assessing SaaS offerings, understanding WBUR's strategic priorities, and assessing WBUR's current infrastructure investment, including contracts and budgetary constraints.
- Top organizational priorities include simplifying our streaming and on-demand audio infrastructure, developing a new mobile app, and integrations between our website, email service provider, donation forms, ticketing systems, and CRM.
- Minimum of 8+ years direct experience, with 5+ years of management experience
- B.S. degree or higher in computer science, engineering, or related technical field
- Demonstrated experience deploying and integrating digital platforms, including Website CMSs, CRMs, audio streaming and hosting platforms, social media platforms, email marketing platforms, and advertising technologies
- Specific experience with iOS/Android apps, React websites, headless WordPress, and audio CMSs are all a plus
- A proven track record maintaining large scale, complex platforms with high availability
- Exceptional collaborative and team-building skills, with the capacity to build diverse and inclusive environments
- Experience in hiring, motivating, and retaining top engineering talent
- Strong interpersonal skills - can build trust and rapport, to influence and inspire across an organization
- User focus - you care deeply about how design, engineering, and product decisions contribute to creating a seamless, engaging, and enjoyable user experience
- Strong quantitative and analytical abilities, using data to drive decisions
- A tactical problem-solver ready to get in the weeds when necessary
- Industry experience in the following domains highly desirable: media, journalism, digital audio/video
- Experience with parts of our specific tech stack a plus: ReactJS, AWS, icecast streaming, StreamGuys, Google Ad Manager, Google Tag Manager, Megaphone, MailChimp, Allegiance
- Looking to join a non-profit journalism organization that is investing in its digital infrastructure to build its sustainable future
WBUR, Boston's NPR news station, is a public media organization committed to exceptional journalism and deep civic engagement providing news, analysis, and entertainment on-air, online at wbur.org, on-demand, and on stage. WBUR is the home of national programs Here & Now and On Point, reaching millions of listeners each week on more than 500 public radio stations nationwide. The WBUR iLab produces popular podcasts including Circle Round and Endless Thread. WBUR serves its local community with the largest public radio newsroom in the country and with CitySpace, a dynamic, new venue for civic discourse and cultural exchange.