The Boston Symphony Orchestra is confirming Maestro James Levine's return to the podium next Thursday, after a three-month absence.
Back in September, the BSO's music director was forced to cancel a long list of appearances with the orchestra, including a long-planned series of Beethoven's nine symphonies.
Herniated disks were to blame, and the 66-year-old conductor has been on the mend for months since having back surgery.
BSO Artistic Administrator Anthony Fogg said it's been tough without the orchestra's leader at the podium. "He's really sort of an inspiration for us all," Fogg said, "and that above else is what we've been missing in the unique way that he can offer and can't wait to have it back."
Fogg also said he and the Maestro need to catch up on a lot of planning that didn't happen while Levine was recuperating. "I'm keen to see the whites of his eyes to get on with that," Fogg said.
Next week, Levine will lead the BSO in a program of works by Carter, Berlioz and Ravel. The Maestro also leads the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and returned to the stage in New York last month.
This program aired on January 21, 2010. The audio for this program is not available.