Boston Mayor Thomas Menino is countering a new casino proposal in Foxborough by saying that East Boston is the better location.
Menino's dismissing the early billion-dollar proposal from New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft and casino developer Steve Wynn. Boston's mayor says so far all he's seen is a lot of "hoo-hah."
"I haven't seen any meat to the bones yet," Menino said. "I've seen a lot of conversation, a lot of media events. You know, putting meat to the bones and what it does to the community. And is it the right location? Will it attract the folks to the casino? That's a question."
Kraft and Wynn's bid would be in competition with a proposed casino at Suffolk Downs in East Boston.
Menino said the state bidding process is a long one, "and we just have to see how the process works out. That commission will make those decisions. My opinion doesn’t have a lot of weight in this one. It’s not Bob Kraft making the decision, it’s the five-member commission making the decision."
Menino made the remarks after announcing a development initiative for East Boston on Tuesday.
This article was originally published on December 06, 2011.
This program aired on December 6, 2011. The audio for this program is not available.