Support the news

Smoking Near Medical Oxygen Caused Plymouth Fire

This article is more than 7 years old.

Investigators say an early-morning fire that injured five people in Plymouth was started when a lit cigarette ignited the tubing for home medical oxygen.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan says Saturday's fire injured three tenants at the Tide View Path apartment, one police officer and a firefighter.

The blaze began in the first floor bedroom.

The fire marshal says the incident shows that many people are not fully aware of the fire risks associated with bringing medical oxygen into the home.

He says people are unaware that oxygen soaks into furniture, bedding and clothes, meaning that the risk of fire remains even if the oxygen is turned off.

Fire incidents involving home oxygen have caused 33 deaths and 65 injuries in Massachusetts since officials began tracking the figures in 1997.

This program aired on May 26, 2012. The audio for this program is not available.

+Join the discussion
TwitterfacebookEmail

Support the news