Support the news

State Rep. Walsh Makes Boston Mayoral Bid Official

This article is more than 7 years old.

Dorchester state Rep. Martin Walsh, who had previously said he planned to run for Boston mayor, made his entrance into the race official on Wednesday.

In a news release (PDF), Walsh said, in part:

The future of Boston depends on the education of our children, the strengthening of our working families, the protection of our vulnerable, and the growth of our businesses. I am running for Mayor because I have the skills, record and passion to do the job. I want to move our schools forward, create good jobs for local residents, and create an environment where families can prosper and businesses can grow.

Rep. Martin Walsh, in a 2006 file photo (AP)
Rep. Martin Walsh, in a 2006 file photo (AP)

In the release, Walsh said he has over $200,000 in his campaign account and has, over the last several days, secured commitments for $400,000 more in campaign funds.

Walsh has represented the 13th Suffolk District in the Massachusetts House since 1997.

He joins an ever-expanding list of candidates seeking to replace Mayor Thomas Menino, including Boston City Councilors Felix Arroyo, Rob Consalvo and John Connolly; Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley; and community organizer Bill Walczak.

This program aired on April 10, 2013. The audio for this program is not available.

Support the news