Support the news

Former Boston Mayor Menino Suspends Cancer Treatment

This article is more than 5 years old.

Former Boston Mayor Thomas Menino announced Thursday that he is suspending his cancer treatment and book tour.

Menino said in a statement that he wants to spend more time with family and friends as he continues to "fight this terrible disease."

In March, Menino began treatment for an advanced form of cancer that doctors said had spread to his liver and lymph nodes. In recent weeks he's been on the road promoting his new memoir, "Mayor for a New America."

But last week Menino was hospitalized for dehydration and exhaustion, likely related to his cancer treatment, The Associated Press reported.

Menino, 71, was Boston's longest serving mayor. In 2013, after 20 years in office, he chose not to run for a sixth term.

--Menino's full statement:

Today, I, along with my family, after talking with my medical team, have decided to suspend my book tour as well as my cancer treatments. While I continue to fight this terrible disease, I feel it is time for me to spend more time with my family, grandkids, and friends. The medical team at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital along with those at the Dana-Farber have been amazing in their care and treatment of me and the many other patients and families that suffer from cancer. I am hopeful and optimistic that one day the talented researchers, doctors and medical professionals in this city will find a cure for this awful disease. Angela and I are grateful for the tremendous outpouring of support and kindness shown to our family and ask that everyone keep us in their thoughts and prayers.

Earlier Coverage:

+Join the discussion
TwitterfacebookEmail

Support the news