Support the news
Snow is going to fall hard and fast Saturday morning with roads quickly becoming snow covered and travel slowed significantly by the quick accumulation. The snow will mix with and change to rain over Cape Cod and the Islands early, but it will take most of the morning before the snow in Boston becomes mixed precipitation.
Snow amounts will be heaviest inland, but even in Boston there will be a plowable storm. I think the heaviest of the snow is over between 2 and 4 p.m. If there is a change to rain or mixed precipitation where you are, it will change back to snow before it ends completely early in the evening. There won’t be more than an inch or two of snow after the change back.
Winds will increase later this afternoon and will be especially gusty along the coastlines of Cape Ann and Cape Cod. I don’t expect winds to be an issue inland.
There could be some power outages due to the heavy wet nature of the snow. The most likely spots for this problem would be where snowfall exceeds 4 inches and is heaviest and wettest.
If you see a change to rain then it will weigh the snow down and you will want to clear the snow as quickly as possible. The colder air that moves in Monday is going to freeze any remaining slush solid.
Around 1 p.m. I expect the mix line to have reached about the Boston area. Once the snow mixes with sleet or rain you can expect only small amounts of additional accumulation.
Sunday brings a return to sunshine and seasonably cold temperatures.
Monday another storm approaches from the west, redevelops on the coast and then moves out to sea. This storm has the potential to bring more accumulating snow to the region, including Cape Cod, Monday night and Tuesday morning.
- Today: Snow and sleet north, mix snow and rain changing to all rain over Cape Cod. Accumulations ranging from little or no snow over Cape Cod to around 4 inches in Boston to 5-7 inches north and west of the city. Heaviest snow is over early to mid-afternoon.
- Tonight: A period of snow showers then clearing. Winds and colder. Lows 21-28
- Sunday: Mostly sunny, breezy. Highs 30-35
- Monday: Morning sunshine, then clouding. Some PM snow showers possible. Accumulating snow at night. Highs in the 20s.
- Tuesday: Morning snow then blustery and cold. Highs in the teens to lower 20s.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 20.
This article was originally published on January 24, 2015.
Support the news