A 13-year-old boy has been ordered held on $100,000 bail after police say he led officers on a highway chase in a reportedly stolen SUV.
The boy is facing charges of receiving a stolen motor vehicle, leaving the scene of an accident causing property damage, trespass, unlicensed operation, negligent operation, failure to stop for police and three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, according to a spokesperson for the Suffolk County district attorney's office.
At around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, state police troopers attempted to pull over a 2011 Chevy Tahoe that was driving northbound on Interstate 93 and had earlier been reported stolen in Foxborough, David Procopio, a spokesman for the department, said in a statement.
As troopers attempted to head off the SUV near Exit 15, Procopio said the driver refused to stop and exited the highway at Exit 16, halting the police chase as the 13 year old drove into a densely populated area.
The boy then drove from Southampton Street to Massachusetts Avenue to Melnea Cass Boulevard in Roxbury, where he then crashed into a vehicle, the statement said.
The suspect then fled on foot, according to Procopio, who said state police, Boston police and transit police launched a search that led to the boy's capture on Reading Street.
The driver of the vehicle struck by the suspect did not immediately report any injuries, the statement said.
The boy was arraigned Thursday morning in Boston Juvenile Court, represented by Brian Wiseman. His name is not being released because he is a juvenile.
A spokesperson for the Suffolk District Attorney said he will return to court on April 14.
This article was originally published on March 31, 2016.