Support the news

Electrical Short Circuit In Laundromat Is Blamed For Charlestown Fire

Boston firefighters battle a smoldering fire on Bunker Hill Street in Charlestown. (Jesse Costa/WBUR)
Boston firefighters battle a smoldering fire on Bunker Hill Street in Charlestown. (Jesse Costa/WBUR)
This article is more than 2 years old.

An electrical short circuit in the ceiling of a laundromat appears to be the cause of a 6-alarm fire that damaged a three-story building in Charlestown Friday morning, Boston fire officials said Sunday.

Firefighters battled intense winds and extreme cold as they worked to put out the fire on 144 Bunker Hill St. It took about four hours for Boston firefighters to extinguish the flames.

No one was injured in the fire. However, at least 20 people were displaced after the six apartments housed on the building's upper floors were destroyed by the fire.

Icicles form around the Boston firefighters' equipment as they battle the fire in Charlestown in frigid conditions. (Jesse Costa/WBUR)
Icicles form around the Boston firefighters' equipment as they battle the fire in Charlestown in frigid conditions. (Jesse Costa/WBUR)

Related:

Lisa Creamer Twitter Digital News Editor and Producer
Lisa Creamer is a digital editor and producer at WBUR.

More…

+Join the discussion
TwitterfacebookEmail

Support the news