Support the news
Former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is out of the hospital, and has released his first personal statement since being shot in his native Dominican Republic seven weeks ago.
He was released from Massachusetts General Hospital Friday, and on Monday said in the statement: “I am feeling good but know I need to do my rehab just like I did when I was recovering from injuries playing baseball."
While he asked for privacy, Ortiz also promised "Big Papi will be back soon."
Ortiz acknowledged "the prayers and good wishes from the Dominican Republic and Red Sox Nation," the statement said, and expressed gratitude to his doctors and nurses and members of the Red Sox organization.
Earlier Monday, Big Papi posted on Instagram photos of pasta, a cooked fish and a thick, juicy steak on a grill — though it seems Ortiz can't indulge in any of it just yet.
"Being at home and look at my family celebrating that Im here safe is priceless," Ortiz wrote in the post. "Too bad I can't crush food yet."
Ortiz has undergone three surgeries since he was shot in the back on June 9 on the patio of a bar in Santo Domingo, the Dominican capital. His gallbladder and part of his intestine were removed as part of the initial surgery, and he had his third surgery earlier this month.
Authorities have said that the gunman mistook Ortiz for the intended target of a hired killing, a conclusion that has drawn skepticism in the Dominican Republic, since Ortiz is so well-known there.
At least 14 people have been arrested in connection with the shooting.
This article was originally published on July 29, 2019.
Support the news