Service Restored To Most Lawrence Customers Impacted By Friday's Gas Leak
Columbia Gas said service has been restored to all but about 15 properties in Lawrence as of 9 p.m. Saturday, following Friday morning's gas leak that led to the evacuation of more than 100 people.
At the peak of the situation, approximately 150 homes and businesses had their gas service disconnected.
Officials say the leak was caused by city contractors who inadvertently closed a gas valve early Friday morning.
Lawrence Mayor Dan Rivera said he does not blame the contractors.
"It is clear to me that this gas valve should have never been there, it should have been removed as part of the reconstruction of last year and it was out of compliance with [the Department of Public Utility]," he said.
The valve was part of a series of pipes that were supposed to be disabled following last year's gas explosions and fires.
The leak came exactly one year and two weeks after that tragedy in the Merrimack Valley that left one person dead.
No one was hurt in this latest incident and officials say there were no reported fires or explosions.
Columbia Gas says it will continue trying to reach affected customers to restore their service, and that it has identified 45 gas valves that the state has required to be inspected.
This article was originally published on September 29, 2019.