Support the news
There will be a second congressional hearing next week investigating the Trump administration's decision to end a process that allows some seriously ill migrants to remain temporarily in the U.S. for medical treatment.
Last month, after weeks of congressional pressure and public outcry, the administration reinstated what's known as medical deferred action. But advocates say that families remain in limbo and have not yet received approvals or denials. There have been several cases in which the government has requested additional evidence.
Massachusetts Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley has been calling for more transparency around the government's decision to end the policy with no public announcements. She says the administration must explain.
"There will not be full justice and full restoration for these families until they have received notification," she said. "We understand what the genesis was for this because we see what happens in the light of day with this administration, one shudders to think what is happening under the cloak of night."
According to a memo from Congressman Elijah Cummings (D-MD), chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform, the acting directors of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will be subpoenaed to testify at the hearing before the Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties.
The hearing is scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 17.
- After A Month Of Public Outcry, Immigration Officials Resume Medical Deferrals For Deportation
- House Hearing On Medical Deferred Action Offers Little Clarity On Why Process Ended
- Rep. Pressley And Others Seek Answers On Medical Deportation Deferrals At Emergency Hearing
- After Receiving Denial Letters, Immigrants Fear End Of Medical Deferral Program
Support the news