The Coast Guard has suspended a search for three people off the Maine coast just hours after it began Thursday, calling it a "probable hoax."
The Coast Guard said earlier in the morning that rescue crews were searching for passengers after a fishing vessel began taking on water Thursday.
"There are no indications of distress or missing persons in the area," it said in a tweet shortly after noon.
Last week, four men reportedly sank off a vessel from Maine near Provincetown. The search has been called off, but the sinking remains under investigation.
This article was originally published on December 03, 2020.