Who are the 12 lawmakers who make up the bi-partisan Congressional "super committee" that's charged with coming up with a plan to cut the federal deficit by $1.5 trillion over the next decade?
- There are six Republicans, six Democrats, one woman and one African American
- All six Republicans have signed a pledge not to raise taxes, written by Grover Norquist, the President of Americans for Tax Reform
- All six Democrats have said tax increases have to be part of deficit-reduction and are all strong supporters of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid
- According to the Center for Responsive Government, the median net worth of each committee member is $1.2 million
- CRG also reports that the largest donor to committee members was the conservative Club for Growth, with over $ 1 million to Republican members
- The second-largest donor was Microsoft, contributing just under $1 million, almost all to Democratic committee members
This segment aired on August 19, 2011.