WBUR News WBUR News

Support the news

Woman Hit By Foul Ball At Fenway Sues Sox Owner

This article is more than 5 years old.

A fan struck by a foul ball that went behind home plate last year during a Boston Red Sox game at Fenway Park has sued the team’s principal owner.

Brookline resident Stephanie Taubin says in her lawsuit filed Wednesday against owner John Henry that she was above home plate in the EMC Club on June 17, 2014, when a ball came through an area usually protected by glass and hit her. The glass had been removed for renovations.

The suit says Taubin suffered facial fractures and neurological damage. She is seeking unspecified damages.

The suit comes after two other fans were injured at Fenway this season.

On June 5, 44-year-old Tonya Carpenter was seriously injured when she was struck in the head by a broken bat during a game against the Oakland Athletics. Then, about a month later, 36-year-old Stephanie Wapenski was hit in the face by a foul ball, requiring three dozen stitches, during a game against the New York Yankees on July 10.

These injuries sparked a conversation about fan safety at baseball games and who should be held liable when injuries occur.

The Red Sox told The Boston Globe that the organization doesn't know the specifics of the lawsuit and doesn't comment on pending litigation but that fan safety is a priority. (Henry also owns the Globe.)

With reporting from The Associated Press and the WBUR Newsroom

Related:

Support the news