A Suffolk County Superior Court judge on Thursday dismissed a lawsuit filed by Boston in an attempt to halt the construction of a $1.7 billion casino being developed by Wynn Resorts in neighboring Everett.
Judge Janet Sanders ruled that the state Gaming Commission acted properly when it issued the casino license to Wynn Resorts.
Boston Mayor Marty Walsh had argued that the resort-style casino would further complicate traffic in the city's Charlestown neighborhood, a short distance from the proposed site on the Mystic River waterfront.
A Wynn vice president said in a statement the company is "very pleased" with the ruling, "the result of which continues the positive momentum of our development."
Walsh said Friday that Boston officials are still deciding whether to appeal Sanders' ruling. Walsh said he had not yet read the 24-page ruling.
In the meantime, he said talks to address the city's concerns are ongoing.
"[Wynn's] people are at the table, so we've been having good conversations and good dialogue," Walsh said.
The city has spent more than $1 million on the lawsuit so far.
Wynn Resorts beat out Mohegan Sun and Suffolk Downs for the sole Greater Boston casino license.
Said the Gaming Commission commission in a statement: "We are gratified by the judge's decision and believe it is a validation of the hard work and detailed effort put forth by the Commission and its staff."
A similar lawsuit filed by the city of Revere was also dismissed.
The commission added: "We are hopeful that Wynn and the cities of Boston and Revere can now begin to reconcile their differences through open dialogue and negotiation as opposed to legal action."
With reporting by the WBUR Newsroom, WBUR's Steve Brown and The Associated Press
This article was originally published on December 04, 2015.