WBUR News WBUR News

Support the news

As Coronavirus Cases Surge, Revere Beach Restaurants Stop Takeout Orders

Revere Beach is pictured on June 15, 2003. (Angela Rowlings/AP)
Revere Beach is pictured on June 15, 2003. (Angela Rowlings/AP)

Restaurants on Revere Beach have ended takeout services and are shifting to delivery only until further notice, after cases there surged tenfold in less than a week.

The city said in a statement Sunday that all restaurants on Revere Beach Boulevard have voluntarily made the change or closed down after city officials made the request Saturday.

Known cases of the coronavirus in Revere escalated from eight at the beginning of last week to 83 on Sunday.

On Saturday afternoon, Revere Mayor Brian Arrigo rode along the boulevard in a city van with a bullhorn, urging beachgoers to adhere to social distancing guidelines, the statement said.

“I’m grateful to our partners in the restaurant industry who are taking the difficult but necessary step of ending take-out services along Revere Beach,” Arrigo said in the statement. “We've been doing everything we can to urge residents to do their part by staying home and abiding by social distancing guidelines when they must go out. There needs to be a community-wide effort if we are going to slow this concerning trend in Revere.”

Related:

Laney Ruckstuhl Twitter Digital Producer
Laney Ruckstuhl is a digital producer.

More…

Support the news