The Senate on Tuesday confirmed school choice advocate Betsy DeVos as Education secretary by the narrowest of margins, with Vice President Mike Pence breaking a 50-50 tie in a historic vote.
Two Republicans joined Democrats in the unsuccessful effort to derail the nomination of the wealthy Republican donor. The Senate historian said Pence's vote was the first by a vice president to break a tie on a Cabinet nomination.
With reporting from The Associated Press
This article was originally published on February 07, 2017.
This segment aired on February 7, 2017.
- Senate Democrats Rally Overnight Against Trump's Education Pick Ahead Of Vote
- American Federation Of Teachers President On Education Secretary Pick Betsy DeVos
- In New Orleans, Charter School Lessons For Betsy DeVos
- Senators Grill Trump's Pick For Education Secretary
- President-Elect Trump Selects DeVos For Education Secretary