The Cambridge-Boston area has long been a hotbed of independent music. It's had some of the best rock clubs in the country — large and usually small. It's been the place to catch bands that could be huge in a few years, and you could say you caught them back when.
WBUR's All Things Considered host Lisa Mullins spoke with some locals who became fixtures themselves at these three venues:
- Peter Wolf, musician and lead vocalist for the J. Geils Band
- Brad Paul, of the indie artist consulting and promotion company Brad Paul Media and formerly of Rounder Records
- Tai Irwin, consultant and former DJ
- Dicky Barrett, of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- Julie Kramer, currently the music director at Radio BDC
- Joyce Linehan, currently chief of policy for the city of Boston and a former band manager and talent scout